Page Nav




Classic Header


Top Ad

Advertise Here

Breaking News:


Prophetic Inquest: Prophet Magaya Stampede Saga Probe that Claimed 11 Lives Begins

Bulawayo - An inquest for the 11 people who perished during serial miracle performer, Prophet Walter Magaya’s PHD Ministries crusade in Kwe...

Bulawayo - An inquest for the 11 people who perished during serial miracle performer, Prophet Walter Magaya’s PHD Ministries crusade in Kwekwe in 2014 has commenced. 

A sisters's victim, Netsai Gwinji told the coroner Taurai Manwere that Prophet Magaya had just finished his sermon when thousands of people sought to leave Mbizo Stadium and were assaulted by the police, resulting in the stampede.

Gwinji said her sister, who was 35-years-old at the time, fell to the ground and was trampled upon by people who wanted to exit the stadium at around 11pm. She was addressing the court as a member of the public following Amos Munzeiwa’s testimony.
Prophet Walter Magaya 

Munzeiwa, from Harare, was in the stadium selling various food items when the stampede happened. Initial reports suggested that Munzeiwa’s gas stove tank exploded, triggering commotion, but yesterday he dismissed the claims.

“The church ushers and the police in a way both contributed to the stampede. I met a police officer who said the gate was locked and was looking for a fellow officer with the keys. At the same time the police and the ushers didn’t coordinate together for smooth movement of people.

I walked to the gate and saw it closed and I saw a stampede away from the gate,” said Munzeiwa.

Munzeiwa said while it had been reported that it was his gas stove tank that blew up resulting in people panicking, that was false. “My gas tank didn’t explode as what the people are saying and I only went to the gate to check if it was open since people were crowding my tent and I was worried about the stuff we were selling,” he said.

Gwinji said after Prophet Magaya finished his sermon, she and her sister walked towards the gate and were pushed back by the police.

“We were 30 metres from the gate when the police asked us to turn back. I saw police officers raising baton sticks hitting people in front of us, asking us to move backwards. We couldn’t, since other people were pushing us towards the gate.

I saw my sister fall and trampled by people who wanted to leave the stadium,” said Gwinji, in tears.

She said before she knew it, her sister was covered in blood and was no longer breathing. Gwinji said some suspected drunkards outside the stadium broke the precast wall to create escape routes for trapped people. The inquest continues on May 17.  - The Chronicle

Tinzwei Is A Worth Voyage For Those In Pursuit For Up-To-Date World Events.

Read More At The Online Coronavirus Portal Or Use The 24-Hour Public Hotline:
South Africa: 0800 029 999 or just Send Hie to 0600 123 456 on WhatsApp

No comments