Page Nav




Classic Header


Top Ad

Advertise Here

Breaking News:


Heart Failure: Two Zimbabwean Soccer Greats Die in a Week

Former Dynamos goalkeeper George Chigova has died after collapsing while training with his club SuperSport in South Africa. He was 32. The f...

Former Dynamos goalkeeper George Chigova has died after collapsing while training with his club SuperSport in South Africa. He was 32.

The former Warriors goalkeeper previously played for Polokwane City also in South Africa. Before that he won titles with Dynamos, one of Zimbabwe's biggest soccer clubs .

Chigova reportedly collapsed and died at his home in South Africa where he was based. Earlier this year, he was diagnosed with a heart disease, and took a bit of time out off the game. In July this year, iDiskiTimes reported that Chigova’s football career was hanging in the balance.

SuperSport United coach Gavin Hunt was quoted as saying Chigova’s situation wasn’t looking positive at the time. "I have not been briefed on the diagnosis or the whole thing, I’m not a doctor. But I know that there is a problem that we are attending to at this point in time and we will know in the next week or so."

"He’s going to spend four weeks just being inactive and go from there. But it doesn’t look positive, but we will give him all the support we can and stay behind him as best we can." Chigova’s situation forced SuperSport to re-sign veteran goalie Washington Arubi for a second time in his career.

Chigova was born on March 4, 1991. In February 2014, Chigova was sold to South African club SuperSport United for $120,000. However, Chigova didn't officially join the club until July of that year.

Heart Failure: Two Zimbabwean Soccer Greats Die in a Week 

In July 2015, Chigova moved to Polokwane City, signing a three-year deal. He made his league debut for the club on 22 September 2015, keeping a clean sheet in a 0–0 draw with Orlando Pirates F.C.

In January 2014, coach Ian Gorowa, invited him to be a part of the Zimbabwe squad for the 2014 African Nations Championship. He helped the team to a fourth-place finish after being defeated by Nigeria by a goal to nil. 

He won the COSAFA Cup with Zimbabwe in 2017 and 2108.

Meanwhile, former Zimbabwe national team players and manager, Rahman Gumbo died after a heart failure, three days after he was fired by his club in Botswana. He was 59.

Gumbo was initially appointed to the managerial position of Zimbabwe in 2005, but was sacked following a 3–0 loss against Nigeria. On 8 February 2012, he was appointed manager of the Zimbabwe national team for a second time.

On 8 March 2014, he was appointed manager of Botswana Premier League club Gaborone United. On 10 May 2016, Gumbo was appointed manager of Zimbabwe Premier League club Chicken Inn. He took up his post as manager on 1 July 2016.

On 28 September 2018, Gumbo was sent on "forced special leave" by his South African National First Division side Witbank Spurs due to poor results that has seen the ambitious outfit registering just a single win in five league starts.

In June 2019, Gumbo, who at the time was the assistant manager, took charge of the Zimbabwean national team for the semi-final against Zambia. 

This was necessitated by coach Sunday Chidzambwa's return to Zimbabwe after he was granted compassionate leave following the death of his father.

Tinzwei Is A Worth Voyage For Those In Pursuit For Up-To-Date World Events.

Read More At The Online Coronavirus Portal Or Use The 24-Hour Public Hotline:
South Africa: 0800 029 999 or just Send Hie to 0600 123 456 on WhatsApp

No comments